Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Reflections on the Christmas Story

Luke 1: 45 Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished!'

This was Elizabeth's statement to Mary upon Mary's arrival at her home. I think we can apply this to our lives. I know that I have been given assurances of something from God, but my disbelief or belief makes all the difference in building my faith and trust in God and his word.

God has so many universal promises for those who follow him. He will never leave us nor forsake us. He gently leads those who have young. He hears our cries. His mercies are new every morning. His love is wider and deeper than we can possibly imagine. And throughout the seasons in our lives, certain assurances mean more to us than others.

I have struggled throughout my life with insecurity. Insecurity which freezes me immobile. Insecurity which causes indecisiveness. Insecurity, which clouds my judgment. I am sure my upbringing played a huge role in this. Divorce and a lack of both parent's presence in my life fed the insecurity. In fact, it was actually this insecurity that brought me to salvation! I raced to the alter at a young age of 6 when I was told that Jesus would never leave me nor forsake me. So this promise of 'I will never leave you nor forsake you' has been an amazing gift to me. But one that I have struggled to keep in my hands. To know that I could trust in someone and not be disappointed by them is an amazing concept and a gift. My insecurity lies in the fear of rejection. If there is ever a rift in a relationship I am very quick to blame myself and decide that is must be my fault. Again, the aftermath of divorce has followed me into adulthood. So this promise that He will be with me; that He holds me in the palm of His hand is such an amazing promise to me.

I know as women we have a lot to do. So much is required of us, but can I challenge you with this one thing? BELIEVE. Believe what the Lord has said to you. And if you can't believe on your own then ask him to help you. Friends, he is the Most Faithful One. What I cannot do, he can. And in that fact is my hope that I can keep following him on this road He has me on.

No comments:

Post a Comment