Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Present or Presence?

Could they be one and the same? If I am to live in the present, in the day to day, could that draw me closer to His presence?

These questions keep rolling around inside my head. His presence is my present.

'Blessed are those who have learned to acclaim you, who walk in the light of your presence, O lord, They rejoice in your name all day long, they exult in your righteousness. For you are their glory and strength, and by your favor you exalt our horn.' Psalm 89:15-17.

Does daily, moment by moment, praise in the daily grind give me the Light of His presence? Is this where I find my strength? I believe so. I have experienced this truth.

Ah, but the difficult thing for me is the 'd' word....Discipline. It takes discipline to remember to praise and give thanks to the Life-Giver throughout the day. It takes constant monitoring of the thoughts racing through my brain. It requires taking myself off 'autopilot' and engaging in the moments of the day.

I am looking for practices to practice the presence of God. I have tried listing the things I am grateful for throughout the day, but that paper or journal gets lost in the midst of the paper dance and clutter explosion, which then becomes a stressor for me instead of a blessing because I have to find it! I am hoping to find a way to record my thanksgiving for Beauty throughout the day. I want to remember the sun streaming in the window and the blue, blue skies. Milk deliverey. Rocks on the table. A new rock collection started!The sound of the dishwasher. A hint of greening grass. The shimmer across corn stubble. These are gifts from I Am who desires me to entire into His present. My present is where I find His presence.

What about you? Do you exult in the Lord's presence throughout the day and how do you record it, if at all? Or do you struggle with the 'autopilot' setting?

In His presence is strength and since He is present, I need to be present. Because I can't do life in my own strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment