Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Bread of Adversity

Weariness. Fatigue. Exhaustion. I have used these words to describe my state of being. Sometimes it is my mind, sometimes it is my body, and sometimes it is my spirit. And the mornings when I wake up exhausted, it is often all three. Those days are the hardest. Those days are often the days when I need the most forgiveness for my bad attitudes, tone of voice, and actions. And sometimes, God carries me through those days in such a way that all glory belongs to Him and I stand amazed at what He can do when I surrender to Him.

Part of the biggest challenge in my walk with the Lord is accepting the hard circumstances. If I say I believe God's word; if I say I believe God knows what He is doing; if I say that I believe that God is in charge, then why is it so hard to accept the 'hard' things in life?

'Although the Lord gives you the bread of adversity and the water of affliction, your teachers will be hidden no more; with your own eyes you will see them.' Isaiah 30:20.

This verse and others like it tell me that troubles in this life will abound. I came into adulthood with the false assumption that since my childhood was troubled and fraught with confusion and pain that my adult life would, or if I am to be honest, should be trouble free. I figured that I payed my 'dues'. However, that is not the case. Jesus himself stated that in this world we would have many troubles, but we need to take heart because He has overcome the world. What hope! What comfort!

Not only that, but in Isaiah 30:20, I see that every affliction I experience, God will reveal himself and I will see Him if I choose to look for Him. He will also guide me.

'Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, 'This is the way; walk in it.'Isaiah 30:21. So, I don't have to flounder around, wondering, groping for the path. He is there guiding me, guiding my steps down the path He laid out for me.

I really don't know what you are facing personally, but I know this life is wrought with troubles. Some are bigger than others, but God is intimately concerned with what concerns us--whether it is struggles with a school lesson or a job loss or critical health issues or squabbling kids. Eat the bread of adversity and wait for His guidance. Let go of control and trust Him.

And remember this: 'Yet the Lord longs to be gracious to you; he rises to show you compassion. For the Lord is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for him! Isaiah 30:18 Let's look for Him, listen for His voice, and wait on Him.

Blessings to you,
Jess

1 comment:

  1. Amen! No matter what, He's in control. Lord, help me surrender to You.

    ReplyDelete