Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Life-Words

The wise in heart are called discerning and pleasant words promote instruction.' Proverbs 16: 21

It is my longing to teach my children not only their academics, but also how to live in this crazy world. My life and my words contribute to this and my failures keep me humbly on my knees.

Words can build up or tear down. 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me' is a lie straight from the pit. But why, oh why is it easier to say those life-stealing words rather than the life-giving words? And why do we remember the death-words more than the life-words?

'A wise man's heart guides his mouth and his lips promote instruction.' Proverbs 16: 23

A wise heart. Am I seeking wisdom? Are you? Are we filling our minds and hearts with God's words so that what comes out of our mouths are life-giving words? I believe some of the fiercest battles a christian mother faces is within her own mind. What we fill our minds with becomes our influencer and as we are the biggest influencer on our children we need to be very diligent with what we think about.

These verses came to light after a particularly difficult string of school days where words were said and attitudes were thrown by me and one of my kids. I was despairing at this child ever learning what I was trying to teach her. These verses were like a reprimand and encouragement all rolled into one. I wasn't controlling my thought life and in turn I was unable to control my lips. And it was encouraging to again be reminded that the Bible really does have the answers. When I began consistently applying these principles, instruction was able to take place. It was like the Lord showed me that if I want my kids to really learn then I need to use pleasant words.

But what happens if we've blown it? I certainly don't have this mastered, but I have come a long way by the grace of God. What happens if our words have inflicted wounds in the hearts of our kids? Seeking forgiveness is important and so is Proverbs 16:24: 'Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.'

May your words, dear friends, be life-words. Words that promote life, words that promote instruction so that our children can be fully equipped for the life God leads them to.

Blessings to you,
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment