Friday, May 27, 2011

When You Don't Know What To Do

....continued from 'Journey to Joy'.....


2 Chronicles 20: 12, 'We have no power to face this vast army that is attacking us. We do not know what to do, but our eyes are upon you.'


I can identify with Jehoshaphat and the children of Israel. They had very real physical enemies, but my invisible enemies are just as real. It feels just as vast. The fear rises to attack. The bitterness encroaches upon my boundaries. The weariness insipidly wears down my defenses. I am powerless to stop any of them. What can I do? I can come and stand before the Lord, admit my weakness and proclaim His power.


I could leave my prayer at that. By stating my weakness and impotence and keeping my eyes on the Lord. But how? How do I keep my eyes on Him? How? When my enemies are so vast and destruction seems imminent. I believe the clue to this possibility is found in verses 6-9. These verses remind Jehoshaphat and the people of Israel of WHO God is. It is a great reminder of how Big and Great and Able is our God.


What does Jehoshaphat state at the beginning of his prayer? He states the following: He is Lord, He is God of our Father's, He is in heaven, He rules all, Power and Might are in his hand, No one can withstand against him, covenant full-filler, a friend, and I am welcomed into His presence, He hears, and he saves. Now, I do not think the Lord himself needed to be reminded of His attributes, but I think the people did. And so do I.


God is my Lord. He is my father. He is in heaven. He does rule all. He does hold Power and Might in his hand. Nothing can withstand against him. He fulfills promises, He is my friend. I can come to him and not be ashamed. He hears my cry, and he saves me. I have no power to withstand this army against me and I don't know what to do, but my eyes are upon Him. My life-giver. My rescuer. The all-powerful one.


Living this life well requires me to stand before him with eyes upon him relinquishing all I desire to control and admitting my weakness and impotence outside of him. It involves making the decision to be conscience of him in every breath I take, in every sight I see, and in every move I make.


...continued next week...

Blessings,

Jess



No comments:

Post a Comment